Why is affordable housing important?
Habitat for Humanity knows that a safe, decent, affordable home is fundamental to a family forging a path out of poverty.
We see all over the world how decent and affordable shelter is intricately woven into better opportunities for children and their parents.
In a Habitat house, families find better health, more financial freedom, independence, and a stability and security that far too many families simply can’t achieve without a helping hand.
The need for affordable housing is immense, and the lasting impact it can have on homeowners and their families is undeniable.
Studies prove this to be true. Read and share these reports that reinforce the importance of the work we do together.
- Quality of housing central to childhood development (Boston College and Tufts University)
- A blueprint for addressing the global affordable housing challenge (McKinsey Global Institute)
- Survey outlines need for affordable quality housing among U.S. families (MacArthur Foundation)
- Affordable housing as a platform to overcome nutritional challenges (Enterprise)
- Investing in the health of our children and communities (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation)
- 7 things you should know about poverty and housing